Do you want to know what’s the perfect size dog crate for you need? Remember that the right crate will be different for every dog.
If you plan on bringing a dog home soon, you may be wondering what crate you need for your new friend.
Maybe you already have a dog, but you’ve always thought that the crate was too big or small for your best pal.
Whether you have a dog or you’re bringing a dog home soon, here is everything that you need to know about dog crate sizes.
How To Use A Dog Crate Size Chart
When choosing the best dog crate for your pup, the first thing that you need to do is determine the size of crate. A pup crate size chart is always a good guide, and these charts can be found online or on the back of dog crates.
Before using a pup crate size chart, you’ll need to know the size of your dog in inches first.
Once you know the size of your dog, you can use the pup crate size chart to find out what size crate your dog needs. A pup crate size chart is extremely easy to use.
If you have a small dog like a toy fox terrier, your dog’s crate may need to be 19-inches. For extremely large dogs like a Bernese Mountain Dog, a 48-inch dog crate may be more appropriate.
Do you have a medium-sized dog like a Beagle? You may need a 30-inch dog crate.
Which Type Of Dog Crate Is Best For Your Dog?
There are many different types of dog crates that you can choose from.
For very big dogs, you may want to get an extra-large dog crate so that your dog has plenty of room to roam around.
A heavy-duty dog crate is a great option for dogs who may try to escape their kennel. Be sure to get one with several latches.
Wire dog crates are also extremely durable options. Wire crates seem to be more secure.
Do you plan on traveling a lot? You and your furry friend may enjoy a soft crate with wheels and is easy to assemble and collapse like the Diggs Revol Dog Crate. These types of crates are extremely easy to transport. Your dog will like a soft crate because it’s really comfortable.
Then there crates such as Petmate Skyl Kennel Travel that are primed for airline travel.
If you have a small dog, you may want to look into pup crate furniture. These types of dog crates often come in the form of a bedside table or end table. Small dogs will enjoy this type of crate because it’s the perfect size for them. You will like pup crate furniture because it’s sure to match your decor.
Here Are Some Things To Keep In Mind
When you’re searching for the perfect crate, you’ll want to keep these important things in mind.
- If you have a puppy, keep in mind that your best pal will grow . A crate that features divider panels will be a great option. This will get rid of too much space which Fido does not need.
- Many pet owners are unaware that they can buy a covered crate or uncovered crate. If your dog enjoys seeing what people or other pets are doing, an uncovered crate is a great idea. If your dog suffers from anxiety, you may want to consider an uncovered crate to keep your best pal calm.
- If you plan on traveling with the crate, you may want to get a collapsible crate.
- In addition to getting the right size crate for your pup, you also want to make the crate extremely comfortable. You can add pillows, dog treats, a crate pad, and dog toys to the crate to accomplish this. The goal is to make the crate feel like home for your dog.
- Dog crate accessories are also available. A crate tray is a great option if you’re house-training your pup. Get crate casters to easily move the crate.
If you have any questions about the right crate for your furry friend, you can always contact a vet or a professional dog trainer. These professionals will give you some great advice, and they may also be able to give you great crate training tips.
Also, it’s extremely important to ensure that your dog seems happy in the crate. If your dog appears unhappy in the crate, you may want to include some toys or get a bigger create if he looks cramped.
1. How much bigger should a crate be than the dog?
For most breeds, dog crates should be at least 6 inches longer than your best pal’s body. As far as the height of the crate, it should be at least six inches higher than your best pal’s shoulder.
2. Can a dog crate be too big?
The short answer is yes. If the crate is too big for your pup, he may start to use it as a place to do his business. It will definitely be harder to train your best pal with a crate that’s too big for him. If a crate is too big, it may also encourage your dog to sleep more.
3. How much space in a crate does a dog need?
The crate should never make your dog feel cramped. You want your best pal to be able to lie down, turn around, and stretch without any restrictions.
If you feel that your dog doesn’t have enough space in the crate, you can always contact a dog trainer or vet for guidance.
4. How do I know if my crate is big enough for my dog?
The crate should have room for your best pal to sleep, stretch, turn around, and stand up. If it looks like your dog is cramped in the crate, he just might be. You should get a bigger crate so that your furry friend has room to sleep, stand up, and stretch freely.
If you have a puppy, make sure that he has room to grow in the crate. A create with dividers is perfect for puppies.