Dogs are considered to be the most sought-after pets across the globe. A lot of people seems to have some sort of personal connection with dogs and treat them as a part of their family. You could either purchase the dog or adopt it from a rescue organization. And when you do that, the dog might already have a name that you might want to continue with or may choose a unique name for your pet. Some people might already plan a name for the dog even before they get while some name it depending on how it looks. Irrespective of the circumstances, dog’s name is quite important, especially while you try to train your favorite pet.
In most of the homes it is a playful event, especially among children. And you can’t keep calling it a doggy or a puppy forever. While choosing a dog’s name is not a very easy task, it is an important part of its presence as often the responsiveness of the animal depends on the name we choose. The following are some of the suggestions and tips for naming your puppy.
• It is a good practice to avoid dog names which are very common. Everyone wishes to have as unique of a name for their puppy as they could. Hence, choose a name which is likely to get a faster response from the puppy. Also, avoid names which rhyme with any member of the family as it might confuse the little dog.
• Picking a shorter name is always helpful, especially during the training phase of the animal. It is likely to help the puppy better its recognition capability. Hence, the simple and shorter it is, the better it is.
• If you emphasize on hard sounds, then it is more likely to be perceived by the animal than soft sounds, especially if you are trying to call the animal from farther distances.
• Since you would be proud of your puppy, choose a name that you are proud of and a name that you would not have any hesitation to call, even in public places. If you are teaching techniques of obedience to your puppy, you would not want to call the animal with an odd name.
• If it is the first instance that the puppy would have a name, then it might take some time for it to get accustomed to the name. And you would have to help the animal get used to its name by using the name as frequently as you could and that too in an encouraging and exciting way. Avoid excessive repetitions of the name as that might anger the puppy. If it responds immediately to your command, then treat the puppy with some food or a toy. You might want to repeat this cycle until you are absolutely sure that the puppy knows its name.
• On the other hand, if the puppy has already had a name with its previous owner, then you would be its biggest helping hand during the transition phase. It takes a dedicated amount of training and patience as the animal does not understand your language but instead obeys on human sounds. To start off, you could say her new name followed by the old one; if she responds immediately, its time for some treat to the puppy. While the response might not be immediate at all instances, it is quite important that you repeat the above procedure as much as you could until the puppy totally forgets its previous name and recognizes itself with the new name.
Some people name the puppies with human names. While it is understood that it’s a subjective choice, but try choosing a simple, yet a unique name for your puppy. It is always wise as you would be naming the dog for the rest of its life in your presence. After all, it would eventually become a part of the family and needed to be called in the cutest possible way.