- Provides percentages that make up your mixed breed dog’s pedigree – Part of the fun of a dog DNA test kit is learning what breeds makeup Fido’s background. Some mixed breed dogs are a melting pot of genetics, and sight alone can’t tell you exactly what Fido’s lineage might be. Even well-meaning folks at the shelter can’t guarantee your dog’s pedigree. The Orivet Dog DNA test kit can give you exact percentages of the breeds that went into Fido’s background.
- Personalized Life Plan – Not only will you receive a breakdown of the breeds that make up Fido’s DNA, but you’ll get an important Personalized Life Plan. Once the medical laboratory professionals complete the breakdown of your dog’s DNA, then they will analyze these breeds for health issues that are genetically prevalent in the dog’s lineage. For instance, if your dog has German Shepherd genetics, then you’ll be given a particular probability that your dog could experience issues common to German Shepherds, such as an elbow or hip dysplasia. This personal plan can be shared with your vet in an effort to make smart decisions about Fido’s future treatment.
- The Orivet kit tests for over 350 breeds – The American Kennel Club recognizes just under 200 different breeds. The Orivet Dog DNA test kit tests for all 197 breeds and then some! You’ll enjoy great accuracy in the Orivet kit as it can give great detailed information regarding your dog’s genetic background. In fact, the Orivet kit will test for lesser-known breeds such as the German Mittel Spitz and Canaan dogs.
- Can be used on any age dog – Whether your mixed breed pooch is a three-month-old puppy or a ten-year-old adult, the Orivet Dog DNA test kit can provide accurate results given the test is administered properly. Customers will get one swab, which you’ll use to swab Fido’s cheek. You’ll enclose the swab in a plastic bag, and you’ll use a self-addressed envelope to send it to the company for processing.
- Slow response time – Although the Orivet Dog DNA test kit does not guarantee a specific return date for results, most pet parents can log in to the website and get their report within three weeks. However, some customers reported that it took longer than the typical three weeks to get test results back. It is important to remember that the company can’t control delivery times to the testing facility.
- Customers found the website somewhat confusing – Some customers had no problem getting Fido’s DNA for the testing kit, while others stated that the video depicting how to correctly administer the test was difficult to locate on the website. Other customers lamented that the website itself is difficult to navigate, and this makes communicating with people at the Orivet testing site difficult.
You adopted from a shelter or rescue, or perhaps you chose a mixed breed dog as a puppy. Although Fido is a perfect pup, you’re still a little curious about his background. Sometimes this curiosity can have benefits for your dog, as today’s best dog DNA test kits often give insight into possible health problems your dog might be susceptible to, including medication sensitivity. A dog DNA test kit is a great way to answer your questions about your dog’s origin, and many test kits also provide genetic tendencies to certain health issues. The Orivet Dog DNA test kit does both by providing the percentages of the breed involved in Fido’s makeup as well as helps provide a Life Plan that predicts future health.
Features of Orivet Dog DNA Test
Ability to accurately identify your dog’s background
The Orivet Dog DNA test kit is easy to administer, and once the DNA test has been completed, you’ll get a report of all the breeds that make up Fido’s individual background. Orivet checks for the genetic presence of 350 breeds, some of them quite rare. You’ll find that most dog DNA kits test for around 200 breeds.
Quick and Painless Collection
You’ll get a single swab to use on Fido’s cheek to collect the DNA. Orivet offers a video to show pet parents how to collect this sample, so be sure to visit that website to ensure proper collection.
A Personalized Life Plan
This is important as it is difficult to tell with a mixed breed dog whether he has any predisposition to health issues based on breed . The Orivet test can tell you how much percentage genetically your dog is likely to develop certain issues associated with certain breeds such as hip dysplasia, Cushing’s syndrome, and bloat.
You can use this information to talk with your vet about Fido’s present and future health care.
The Orivet test is the most relevant health care test
The Orivet Dog DNA test kit offers much information on where your mixed breed’s present and future health is concerned. You can access this information from the website along with Fido’s genetic makeup. The report will highlight any potential health risks your dog is more predisposed to experience based on genetics.
The only drawback to the health test of the Orivet kit is that it does NOT test for MDR1 drug sensitivity. If this is a must, you should contact your vet for this specific test.
Neat Certificate of Fido’s Results
Once the company has received the sample and has completed the testing, you’ll get a neat certificate that details the percentages of Fido’s genetics. This is separate from the health report you’ll get.
Health information is very detailed
While there are many dog DNA test kits on the market, the Orivet dog DNA test kit offers very detailed health information compared to other products.
Is This The Right Choice For You?
If you are curious about your mixed-breed dog’s genetic background, the Orivet dog DNA test kit may be the right product for you. However, if you are looking for a test kit that will carry out the MDR1 drug sensitivity, you may need to choose another DNA test kit, as the Orivet does not have this.
Most customers were happy with the detailed results they received from Orivet. While there were some customers who felt the results were a long time coming, it is important to remember that shipping is not the fault of the Orivet company.
If you have a mixed dog and you want to know a great deal about her health and genetics, give the Orivet Dog DNA test kit a try.