- Good value for the price – The Smart Link device retails at around $100, and it is durable, meaning the investment should last you for many years. You may replace your pup’s standard collar several times before you ever need to replace the tracker device itself.
- The remote light is a great feature should your dog wander off at or after dark. – Many GPS trackers offer location information, but not all of them offer an LED light on the device. Plus, the LED light can be activated from your smartphone, which means the light won’t use a ton of battery power. This is all-important to finding your puppy quickly should he become lost.
- The collar offers training opportunities as well as the GPS dog fence. – You can train your dog to stay within the boundaries of your property with the Smart Link tracker. Of course, you should opt to pick up some training flags to carry out this work (the Smart Link collar does not include training flags), but taking the time to teach your dog the borders of your property will benefit him as he wears the tracking device.
- The app gives you daily monitoring feedback. – We really like how the app lets you know what Fido is up to, and we love how it makes activity recommendations based on your dog’s personal statistics. You can even store vet records on the app, which is great if you ever have a veterinary emergency.
- You must purchase a subscription and keep it current in order to use all the features of the Smart Link collar. – You will need to select a subscription plan when you download the app to your phone. There is no trial subscription, and prices are not readily listed. You have no alternative to AT&T as a carrier for said subscription, and this will not be included in your monthly phone bill.
- You’ll need to charge the Link every night. – The manufacturer mentions you should charge your Link tracker device every night just as you would your cell phone. There is no mention of how long the tracker will last between charges.
Our fur babies are important members of our family, and we pet parents want to do all we can to protect our canine companions. In years past, when a dog wandered away from the safety of our property, we often relied on “lost pet” posters or even social media to assist us in finding lost pets. Today, technology is on the side of pet parents as today’s best dog GPS tracker collars can not only provide invisible fence technology but also the ability to track a pet’s activity as well as monitor health. The Link Smart Collar offers the ability to keep your pup safe within an invisible fence, provides alerts to your smartphone should Fido wander past his boundaries, and can actively track your pup’s movements .
Features of the Link Smart Dog Collar
The Link Smart Collar uses GPS to pinpoint your canine companion’s exact location.
The Link Smart Collar chiefly uses GPS to pinpoint your dog’s exact location; however, the Link Smart Collar uses AT&T to assist in locating information should the GPS fail due to storms or other inclement weather. Because the Smart Link uses GPS for location monitoring, should Fido wander from your property, you’ll be able to locate him accurately and return him to your property safely. In fact, because of the way Smart Link is configured, you’ll be able to track your dog anywhere in the continental US as long as there is a stable connection to an AT&T tower.
The Smart Link Collar works in tandem with an app you can download to your phone.
There are GPS collars that work with a special handheld, and these devices can pinpoint your dog’s location as well as tell you the direction in which your dog is going. However, the Smart Link Collar does this and so much more. It won’t serve entirely as a GPS dog fence, but you’ll find the ability to not only track your dog’s location, but the Smart Link app tells pet parents information about their dog’s activity level, and you can get recommendations based on your dog’s breed, weight, and age. There is also the ability to upload vet records to the app, and the app gives you the ability to create a digital scrapbook with photos of your fur baby.
The Smart Link Collar allows for training opportunities.
Any time a pet parent sets up an invisible dog fence, you should train your dog to the boundaries on your property. Most collars allow for some type of alert should your pet get too close to the boundary, and some collars will allow for electronic correction should your pet escape the virtual boundary. Proper training will allow your dog to be aware of the property line, and most dogs will stay within those boundaries. The Smart Link collar offers remote sound opportunities that you control to help with training.
A remotely activated LED light will help to find a lost pup after the sun goes down.
When Fido goes astray, finding him as quickly as possible is a must. In fact, for every hour Fido is lost, the chance increases that pet parents won’t be able to locate their beloved pooch. Unfortunately, dogs do not become lost solely during daylight hours. The Smart Link collar offers you the ability to remotely turn on a light on the device, which can help you to find your dog after the sun goes down.
The Smart Link Collar is waterproof.
When dogs wander, they often go off the beaten path. That means she may wallow in a few mud puddles and even wade through some water. The Smart Link Collar is waterproof up to three feet. Plus, the exterior of the Smart Link is made of durable plastic that is impact-resistant. Therefore, when Fido is wearing the Smart Link Collar, you should never worry that you won’t be able to locate him should he get wet or go through some tough terrain.
The GPS Smart Link app will alert you should Fido leave the boundaries of the virtual fence.
Once you download the Smart Link app, you’ll need to set up the perimeter of the invisible fence. When you do this, you’ll also be able to set up alerts that will tell you if Fido leaves his safe space. This is critical in ensuring that your dog does not wander too far from your property.
The Smart Link tracker will fit almost any collar, so you can use the device with dogs of all sizes.
Many GPS trackers such as Cesar Millan’s Halo 2+ are made into your pet’s dog collar. In other words, the collar itself is the tracker. Should the collar become worn or damaged in any way, you’ll have to spring for a brand new collar and pay full price to replace the original. The Smart Link tracker is a compact device that you attach to Fido’s present collar, which means that it will fit dogs of any size. When Fido’s collar needs to be replaced, you can simply remove the Smart Link device and place it on the new collar.
Is This The Right Choice For You?
The Smart Link is great for those pet parents who let Fido out in the backyard for a few hours every day. If you have a rather adventurous pup, we have no information on exactly how long the battery will last. You can use the Smart Link to train your dog on the boundaries of your property, and there is a remote light that you can turn on for extra assistance in finding Fido. We think this collar best fits small dogs that aren’t away from home very long.