Who doesn’t love a tasty treat – especially when it is made with love at home? It’s not just humans that appreciate them; our furry friends go crazy over them as well. They can be made even better when there are additional benefits baked right in.
You may already be keen on cannabidiol (CBD), and if so, I’m sure you are aware you can purchase pre-made CBD dog treats. What you may not know is that you can make CBD dog treats at home.
So put on your apron, grab some bowls and a cookie sheet, and let’s get down to impressing your pooch!
What are the benefits of CBD dog treats?
There quite a few potential benefits of CBD oil for dogs, and dog treats infused with CBD oil have the added benefit of being irresistible for your pet. Both are easy to administer; you can add the oil directly to their food or even give them a few drops in their mouth, and the same goes for edibles.
Being that some dogs may frown on oil droppers in their mouths, CBD dog treats can be the perfect solution. Not only will your pup love them, but you also have the benefit of knowing exactly what type of CBD is included and in what amount. Plus, you get to choose the ingredients. Does your dog love coconut oil? Maybe she goes wild for fruit or yogurt? And what pup doesn’t adore peanut butter? Not only do you get to pick her favorites, but you can rest easy knowing there are no questionable fillers or chemicals.
What is CBD?
Cannabidiol is one of numerous naturally occurring compounds found in hemp (1). It works with the body’s endocannabinoid receptors in the brains of humans and dogs alike, thereby offering medicinal and therapeutic properties to both species. It is generally thought that CBD oil is safe for dogs when used appropriately.
Some of the benefits of CBD oil for dogs are:
- It helps calm and relaxes them; among the supplements you can give your dog for anxiety
- Eases joint discomfort
- Supports the cardiovascular and immune systems
- Can help with allergies
- Aids with skin health and moisture retention
- And much more
How to Choose the Right CBD Oil for Dogs
The first step in making high-quality CBD dog treats is choosing the best CBD oil for dogs. Like anything, these oils are not created equally, and you need to know what to look for when shopping.
- Choose a hemp-derived oil that contains no more than 0.3% THC.
- Decide if you want full-spectrum or isolate. The former provides CBD along with other beneficial terpenes, flavonoids, and cannabinoids, while the latter will be cannabidiol only.
- Be sure to buy hemp CBD oil as hemp oil for dogs typically does not contain CBD.
- Be sure the company offers a certificate of analysis showing the oil has been tested by an independent third-party lab. The report should show the percentage of CBD and any impurities that are present.
How Much CBD Oil to Use
Determining the amount of CBD oil to use in your treats can be tricky. You will likely want to consult your veterinarian for advice. There are also online dosing calculators that you can check out until you learn what works best for your dog. Either way, you will want to start with the lowest dose to see how well your pet tolerates it and increase from there.
While a dog cannot overdose on CBD oil, you will notice the common side effects of CBD oil in dogs if you give him too much. For instance, they may become excessively thirsty, have low blood pressure, become lethargic, or have a bout of diarrhea.
When making CBD dog treats, a good guideline to start is 1-5 mg of CBD for every 10 pounds of body weight. Once you figure that out, multiply it by how many portions of treats you are making. For instance, if you want him to have 10mg of CBD oil a day and you are making 20 portions, you will want to include 200mg of CBD oil in the recipe.
You will also need to factor in the potency of the oil. It may be more cost-effective to buy a higher potency bottle when using it for homemade dog treats.
Specifics on Baking With CBD
When making your CBD dog treats, the last thing you want to do is destroy the active compounds meant to help the animal. So, here are some tips to avoid that:
- Infuse the CBD oil in fat before adding it to the recipe. You can blend it into coconut oil, butter, or another healthy oil of your choosing over low heat.
- Pair flavored CBD oils with complementary ingredients.
- Anything above 356 degrees will evaporate active CBD. A suitable temperature is 320-350 degrees when baking with CBD.
- No-bake and baked treats alike should be kept in an airtight container in a cool, dark place. Your refrigerator is perfect.
- CBD is not destroyed in the freezer, so feel free to bake your heart out and then freeze the treats for later use.
How to Make CBD Dog Treats at Home
Making homemade CBD treats for your pup isn’t complicated and doesn’t have to take up too much of your time. The most important part is figuring out what your dog likes and giving them the oil consistently.
There are several ways to make these delectable treats, and you can pick the one you are most comfortable with or can fit into your schedule. Either way, your furry best friend is going to love the effort!
1 – No-Bake CBD Dog Treats
No-bake treats usually have fat for a base, like a peanut butter or coconut oil. These types of treats are softer than baked versions, so they are a fantastic choice for dogs with dental issues. Feel free to make them ahead of time, throw them in the freezer, and then take them out to thaw the day you need them.
2 – Frozen Dog Treats
Many dogs love frozen treats, and they are perfect for the summertime. These can be as simple as filling an ice tray with low-sodium broth and adding the appropriate amount of CBD drops to each ‘cube.’ Or, you can make up a recipe that incorporates the CBD and then divide the recipe into pooch-sized portions before freezing.
3 – Baked CBD Dog Treats
If you love to bake, get yourself a cute bone-shaped cookie cutter and dive in! Just remember to keep your oven temps low enough that you keep all the therapeutic goodness of the CBD in the treats.
4 – Add CBD Oil to Existing Treats
Don’t have time for any of the above? No worries! If you have porous dog treats on hand, you can add the drops directly on them, let the oil soak in a bit, and then give them to Fido.
Yummy Homemade CBD Dog Treat Recipes
Now for the good stuff! Here are some super easy and delicious dog treat recipes that’ll have tails wagging in anticipation. We have included some of each method to give you an idea of how simple and rewarding this adventure can be.
No-Bake Pumpkin Cinnamon CBD Balls
Pumpkin is excellent for dogs and can help with upset tummies. Be sure to get pure pumpkin puree, not the pie filling for this CBD dog treat recipe. Keep in mind that your dog shouldn’t eat raw pumpkin as it may lead to an upset stomach, so these treats should be cooked through. Cinnamon is a great complementary spice to add flavor, plus it has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties and may help with diabetes.
- ¾ cup pureed, cooked pumpkin
- 2 TBSP coconut oil at room temperature
- Sprinkle of cinnamon
- ⅓ – ½ cup coconut flour
- Rolled oats for coating
- CBD oil
- Mix the CBD and coconut oils.
- Combine the oils with the pumpkin and cinnamon, stir.
- Slowly add in the flour, mixing as you go. (The amount needed depends on the moisture content of the pumpkin. It will feel sticky at first but will firm once you chill it.
- Divide the recipe into your desired amount of treats, and roll in the oats.
- Place on wax paper on a cookie sheet or plate and refrigerate until the set.
PB & B Ice Cream Treats
You will love how easy this recipe is to throw together. However, you might struggle not to eat these scrumptious frozen treats yourself!
- ½ cup peanut butter (choose a peanut butter that is safe for dogs)
- 4 soft bananas
- CBD oil
- Peel the bananas then cut into slices and freeze.
- Place the frozen banana slices into a food processor or blender and process until it is the consistency of ice cream.
- Add CBD oil into the peanut butter and stir to mix it in well.
- Add the peanut butter to the bananas and combine.
- Separate into separate treat-sized portions and freeze.
Baked Sweet Potato Cookies
Sweet potatoes are an excellent way to give your dog some extra A, B, and C vitamins along with healthy carbohydrates, iron, and potassium.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cooked, cooled, and mashed
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup gelatin powder (optional)
- ½ cup coconut oil, room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1-2 TBSP water
- CBD oil
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Mix the CBD and coconut oil.
- Add the oils to all of the other ingredients, combining everything well into the sweet potato base and forming a soft dough.
- Calculate your CBD treat portions and divide the dough, then form into balls.
- Place the balls on a baking sheet and flatten.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned.
- Allow to cool completely and store in an airtight container in the fridge or freeze for later.
- 1 cup apple sauce, no sugar added
- 1/2 cup peanut butter, natural
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, room temperature
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- CBD oil
- Preheat the oven to 340 degrees.
- Combine the CDB and coconut oil.
- Mix the oils with peanut butter, applesauce, and baking soda.
- Slowly add in the flour, mixing as you go. Adjust the flour if needed, or add a little water if you find the dough hard to work with.
- Roll out the dough to approximately half an inch thick, and use your bone cookie cutter to cut it. (You did grab a bone cookie cutter, right? If not, you can use a different one, or simply roll the dough into balls and flatten.)
- Line your cookie sheet with parchment paper, so the cookies don’t stick or burn.
- Place the cookies an inch apart on your pan and bake for 15 minutes.
- Take the cookies out and allow them to cool completely.
Note: This recipe should make about 20 cookies, so adjust your CBD accordingly. If you are worried about oven temperatures, you can also make the cookies without the CBD, then add the drops while the cookies are cooling.
Your Pet’s New Favorite Homemade CBD Dog Treats
Who doesn’t love tail wags and puppy dog eyes looking up at them with love? You will be enjoying a lot of both when you give your pup their CBD dog treats every day.
You love your fur baby and can make a difference in their health and wellness with just a little of your time. They will love you for giving them these delectable bites of goodness, even if they don’t know the secret ingredient!
Frequently Asked Questions About CBD Dog Treats
1. How much CBD oil should I put in dog treats?
A general rule of thumb when it comes to CBD dosage for dogs is 1-5 mg of CBD for every 10 pounds. Always start with the lowest amount and watch for signs of distress like diarrhea or lethargy. Consult with your veterinarian to alleviate any concern.
2. Can a dog overdose on CBD treats?
You do not need to worry about your dog overdosing on CBD oil or treats.
3. What do CBD dog treats do for dogs?
Cannabidiol brings balance to the endocannabinoid system, which can support regular immune, cardiovascular, and neurological function, help with anxiety and sleep issues, alleviate pain and stiffness, and much more. Plus, when you take CBD oil dog treats yourself, you get to choose even more nutritious and beneficial ingredients to further support your pup’s health!
4. How do I give my pet CBD oil?
There are many ways to give CBD oil to dogs. A few of the more common methods are by putting the CBD oil directly into a pet’s food, directly from the dropper into their mouth, on a store-bought treat, or incorporated into yummy homemade goodies.