One of the most popular television series in the last twenty years, Game of Thrones offers a ton of names that are appropriate for a dog. If you are getting a puppy, and are also a GOT fan, you need to check our list of dog names that are inspired by the Game of Thrones series.
Game of Thrones Male Dog Names
- Joffrey – A character everyone loves to hate. The psychopathic, evil young king was loved by no one else but his mother. This is a great choice if your dog is a tad bit naughty.
- Tyrion – The youngest of Lord Lannister’s brood, Tyrion Lannister is a dwarf that uses his intellect and wit to overcome the prejudice that he encounters.
- Jon Snow – Jon Snow is the illegitimate son of Ned Stark and the protagonist of Game of Thrones. He is guarded and solemn and features strong morals.
- Khal Drogo – The first husband of Daenerys, Khal Drogo is a tough Dothraki warrior that has a heart of gold.
- Bran – The son of Catelyn and Eddard Stark, Bran uses supernatural gifts to help his family during the war against the White Walkers.
- Tywin – He is the head of the House of Lannister and is thought to be the most powerful and richest person in the world.
- Jorah – He is a formerly exiled Northern lord that has sworn loyalty to Daenerys and is also her loyal companion.
- Stannis – King Baratheon’s younger brother, Stannis fights an unsuccessful battle in order to win the Iron Throne.
- Gendry – He is a fan-favorite that works as a skilled blacksmith and is the bastard son of King Baratheon
- Ramsay – Ideal for dogs that have a crazy side, Ramsay is a great fit as the sadistic son of Roose Bolton. He wreaks terror on several of the characters on Game of Thrones.
- Robb – The oldest son of Catelyn and Ned Stark, Robb is the older brother of Rickon, Bran, Arya, and Sansa.
- Oberyn – Also known as the Red Viper, Prince Oberyan was able to shake things up when he sought revenge at King’s Landing.
- Bronn – Known as a skilled sellsword, he offered lots of comic relief during the series.
- Hodor – This beloved character is the simple-minded servant that transports and helps to take care of Bran after he is injured. Since this character has an extra-large size, it’s a great name for larger pups.
- Davos – Known as a reformed smuggler, Davos is Stannis Baratheon’s trusted advisor.
- Jaqen H’ghar – Mysterious Jaqen H’ghar has actually assumed the identity of a Faceless Man of Braavos, which is a feared order of mystery assassins.
- Podrick – The former squire of Tyrion Lannister, Podrick eventually ends up in the service of Brienne.
- Tommen – Gullible and sweet, Tommen is the opposite of Joffrey, but meets a very tragic end.
- Varys – Known as the Spider, the eunuch Varys is also called the Master of Whisperers.
- Tormund – Tormund is a favorite among fans as the leader of the Free Folk that unites with Jon Snow in order to fight the Whitewalkers.
- Samwell – A close friend of Jon Snow, Samwell is a steward of the Night Watch.
- Renly – Popular and friendly, Renly is the youngest Baratheon brother and once tried to lay claim to the throne.
- Rhaegar – Eldest son and heir to King Aerys, Rhaegar’s “abduction” of Lyanna help to spark a rebellion and led to the end of Targaryen rule.
- Olly – Known as the personal Steward to Jon Snow, Olly was once a farm boy that fled after his village was attacked by the Night Watch.
- Benjen – Known as the First Ranger of the Night Watch, Benjen is the brother of Ned Stark, and he mysteriously appears and disappears during the series.
- Aemon – Known as an advisor in the Night Watch, Aemon is the last known Targaryen found in the Westeros.
- Daario – Originally Daario is a lieutenant in the Second Sons before he aligns with Daenerys Targaryen and serves as an enforcer and advisor to her.
Game of Thrones Female Dog Names
- Cersei – The former queen of the Seven Kingdoms, Cersei is glib and bitter as well as protective and loyal to her loved ones— a good name for a strong female pup.
- Daenerys – The main character on Game of Thrones, Daenerys is determined to rule the Seven Kingdoms and retake the Iron Throne. Also known as Dany, she has three dragons and has the nickname “The Mother of Dragons.”
- Khaleesi – Khalessi is Dothraki for a queen, which Daenerys also goes by.
- Brienne – Unusually muscular and tall, Brienne is a tough warrior that can outfight most men.
- Sansa – The oldest daughter of Catelyn and Ned Stark, Sansa is polite and proper while also dreaming of being queen. She encounters several horrific events and finally learns how to play the game.
- Arya – A tomboy that wants justice for crimes committed against the Stark family. This is a popular character on Games of Thrones that has seen a rise in popularity among dog names.
- Catelyn – Ned Starks’s wife, Catelyn is a very devoted mother to her children Rickon, Bran, Arya, Sansa, and Robb.
- Margaery – Clever and beautiful and clever, Margaery is married to King Joffrey and then his brother Tommen.
- Melisandre – Melisandre is known as the Red Priestess and is a counsellor to Stannis. This name is a great choice for a female dog that has red coloring.
- Ygritte – Part of the Mancy Rayder’s army, Ygritte is a member of the Free Folk that lived north of the Wall and was a lover of Jon Snow.
- Lyanna – The fearless and beautiful sister of Ned Stark, Lyanna is also the name of the young leader of Bear Island.
- Shae – Strong and feisty, this character is a prostitute that has a relationship with Tyrion before she betrays him.
- Olenna – This sharp-tongued fan favorite is the Tyrell family matriarch.
- Yara – A fierce warrior that is in command of her own longship, Yara is a member of the Greyjoy family.
- Ellaria – The Paramour of Oberyn, Ellaria is also the “mother” of the sand Snakes.
- Meera – Howland Reed’s daughter, she joins Bran on a journey beyond the Wall.
- Missandei – Missandei is a former slave that now serves Daenerys as a handmaiden and advisor.
- Gilly – Craster’s daughter and a wilding, Gilly has a relationship with Samwell.
- Myrcella – The daughter of Jamie and Cersei, Myrcella is also the only sister of Tommen and Joffrey.
- Osha – A wilding that joins the service of the House Stark.
Game of Thrones Family Names
- Greyjoy – This name is a great choice if you have a Weimaraner or Greyhound.
More Game of Throne Inspired Dog Names
- Westeros – The location of the Seven Kingdoms, Westeros is one of the four continents. It could also be shortened to West as a dog’s name.
- Essos – Essos is the largest of the four known continents in the world and has quite a different culture than Westeros.
- Raven – A mysterious and important character in the series, the Three-Eyed Raven. This can be a good name choice for a black dog.
- Warg – This is an animal-inspired name since these are the people who can get into the minds of an animal to see how he perceives the world and can control his actions.
- Dothraki – Horse-mounted, nomadic warriors from Essos.
What are the coolest dog names?
Some of the coolest Game of Throne dog-inspired names come from the dogs on the show themselves.
- Ghost – Raised and adopted by Jon Snow, Ghost is an albino dog that has red eyes and white fur. While he was a runt when he was first born, he grows to be as large as the rest of the litter.
- Nymeria – Raised and adopted by Arya, Nymeria eventually becomes the leader of a wolf pack found in the Riverlands.
- Summer – Raised and adopted by Bran, Summer travels with his owner when goes north of The Wall.
- Shaggydog – Owned by Rickon, Shaggydog is known for its distinctive black fur. This name would be a great choice for a black dog.
- Grey Wind – Raised and adopted by Robb, Grey Wind would be a great name choice for a Weimaraner or a Greyhound.
- Lady – Lady was owned by Sansa, and it is a great name choice for a female dog.
What is a badass name for a dog?
What could be more badass than a dog’s name that was inspired by a dragon?
- Drogon – Known for his red and black colored scales and red and black wings, Drogon was named after Daenerys’s dead husband and is also the dragon that she rides.
- Rhaegal – Named after Daenerys’ oldest brother, Rhaegal features bronze and green colored scales along with yellow and orange wings.
- Viserion – Known for his gold and cream-colored scales as well as his red and orange wings, Viserion is named after Daenerys’s brother Viserys.
What is Jon Snow’s dog’s name?
Ghost is the dog raised and adopted by Jon Snow. He is one of the six direwolf puppies that were found by the Stark children. Featuring red eyes and white fur, Ghost is an albino that was initially a runt but grew to be the same size as the rest of the litter.