Best Overall: Petco Dog & Puppy Online Training Classes
Why We Choose It:
- Focus on physical, mental, and social health.
- Trainers are certified.
- Training methods are proven.
Training a dog is not always an easy task. Some dogs are more obedient than others, and some need a little extra help in the training department. This is where training courses become very helpful.
Many dog owners have discovered the best online training courses in 2022. These online courses are packed with information, but not all courses are created equal.
We want you to learn as much as possible about the best dog training courses so you can make an informed decision for your dog. We will discuss our top choices, including our very favorite online option.
If you have been struggling with training your dog, now is the chance to learn about options that will make the process less stressful. With these courses, you can train your dog faster and more effectively than you ever thought possible.
The Best Online Dog Training Courses In 2022
We have scoured the Internet looking for the best online dog training courses in 2022. Finding the best option is critical for training your dog. After reviewing the options, we have chosen the very best and will inform you of our very favorite option.
Our Top Pick: Petco Dog & Puppy Training Classes
When it comes to online dog training courses, you cannot go wrong with Petco. We all shop at Petco for our dog’s supplies. You can trust them for your training needs as well.
Best Overall: Petco Dog & Puppy Online Training Classes
- Petco offers an online training course for puppies and adults.
- All Petco online dog trainers are AKC certified.
- Petco also offers a four-week separation anxiety course for dogs over the age of six months.
- These courses focus on your dog’s physical, mental, and social health.
- These classes last around four weeks, and this may not be enough training time for all dogs. If you find your dog needs further training, you can always book another course.
Petco is one of the most trusted names in dog training. They are our favorite because they offer such professional courses. You will find each of the trainers is AKC certified to ensure the highest level of professionalism.
Petco offers three main online courses. There is a course for puppies. This puppy class is introductory to training. This course lasts four weeks, and at the time of this writing, the cost is $99.
Once your puppy grows a little older, Petco offers an adult basic course. This is also a four-week course that focuses on manners and addresses the common problems owners have with their dogs. This course is also $99.
Petco also provides a separation anxiety course that is four weeks in length. This course will help determine the triggers for your dog and assist you in training your dog to feel safe and secure. This course is available for dogs over the age of six weeks old. The cost is $99.
If your dog requires more personal intervention, there are online private lessons available. You can book a single session or four sessions at a time. These private courses range from $49 to $229.
Petco has trained over a million dogs with their online courses. These comprehensive training courses are designed to help you easily grasp each topic and work with your dog until he is trained effectively.
They offer a proven method that truly works. These online courses help you gain control of your dog’s behavior. With science-based training, you can rest assured your dog will respond well to the training tactics you learn in these courses. The programs are focused on positive reinforcement dog training which rewards good behavior instead of punishing negative behaviors.
Best Materials: Doggy Dan’s The Online Dog Trainer
- Doggy Dan offers hundreds of online training videos.
- This website offers an app that allows you to train your dog even if you don’t have a computer.
- Doggy Dan offers a sixty-day money-back guarantee if you are not completely satisfied.
- This website introduces the Dog Calming Code method to help you earn your dog’s trust before you engage him in training.
- The site does not mention any specific certifications for its trainers.
We really like the 5 Golden Rules offered by these online dog training courses. Doggy Dan helps establish you as the leader of the pack so your dog knows you are in charge. We also really like that you can try this program for only $1 and you get a full sixty-day money-back guarantee.
The first step in this training series is “The Calming Code” which provides a strong foundation for training. This training helps you establish yourself as the alpha and gain your dog’s trust. There are then many other courses you and your dog can master, including the following.
- Everyday Tools & Techniques
- All Dog Problems Solved
- Puppy Perfect Program
- Dan’s Dog Training 101
- Project Moses
You will find over 350 dog training videos on Doggy Dan’s website. These videos cover your dog’s training throughout all the stages of his life. The website offers a forum for interacting with other members. You can also ask Dan’s team a question and get a prompt response. For an additional fee, you can also seek one-on-one courses with Hayley Wright, a dog behaviorist.
To become a member of Doggy Dan’s website, you will pay $37 a month. You can save money by purchasing a six-month membership for $147 or twelve-month membership for $198. A fifty-minute one-on-one session costs $69.
Best Simplicity: Dr. Dunbar’s Dog Behavior & Training
- There are both free and paid versions of the online dog training course. You can start with the free courses to get a feel for the type of training offered.
- The site provides a wealth of training materials, including digital books, videos, and online workshops.
- The training techniques are fun and exciting for your dog, so he will never grow bored.
- You can pay for membership or pay for each course individually and own them for life.
- There is no money-back guarantee if you are not satisfied with the courses.
We are also very impressed with Dr. Dunbar’s Dog Behavior & Training. Dr. Dunbar offers both free courses and those included as a part of the subscription. For $20 a month, you can access Top Dog Academy which includes 29 courses at present. There are also presently nine free courses on the website.
You can start with the new Essential Puppy Training Course which is a part of Top Dog Academy. You can also purchase this course as a one-time purchase.
One thing you will truly appreciate about Dr. Dunbar is the ease. The courses are straightforward and offer simple techniques anyone can follow. Your dog will also enjoy the training which will engage his mind.
We really like that you do not need to know advanced handling techniques to take advantage of this training. Dr. Dunbar is constantly adding new training material which is available a la carte when you are a member of Top Dog Academy.
Best Uniqueness: Brain Training for Dogs
- These training courses use positive reinforcement so there is no force applied.
- You only have to pay a one-time fee to access all the training materials for life.
- This dog training program offers a full sixty-day money-back guarantee.
- This material includes comprehensive step-by-step troubleshooting guides to help you train your dog effectively.
- The main con to this training course is there is no app, and you cannot download the training videos. You must have an Internet connection to access all the training materials.
We have labeled this online dog training program as one of the most unique offerings because it is centered on the engagement of your dog’s brain. This training is meant to address bad behaviors and nip them in the bud.
This program was developed by Adrienne Farricelli, a CPDT-KA certified dog trainer who has been working for over ten years on developing her proven system of training. She has also been featured in USA Today.
One of the biggest positives of this training system is the fun games you and your dog can play together. These games engage your dog’s mind and help him learn better behavior through positive reinforcement. You will never have to worry about “forcing” your dog to behave. He will naturally learn better behavior.
There are seven modules in the training material. These modules take your dog from preschool to graduation, and you can go through them at your own pace. For a one-time payment, you will also gain access to the following training materials.
- Obedience 101
- 7 Trick Training
- Adriane’s Archives
- Polishing Up
- Bonus Behavior Training Guide
You will appreciate that there is no ongoing monthly fee. You only need to pay a one-time fee of $47, and you will gain access to all the dog training materials for life. In addition to the videos, there is a large library of topics on how to change your dog’s behavior. There is also an informative forum you can join.
Best for “Untrainable” Dogs: MasterClass With Brandon McMillian
- We like that you can stream with an Internet connection or you can download the training to view offline.
- This training can be viewed on laptops, computers, tablets, and phones.
- The course includes a PDF workbook that offers enhanced training.
- This training comes with a full 30-day money-back guarantee if you are not 100% satisfied.
- This training is a little more expensive than some others on our list at $180 a year.
This three-hour course is taught by Brandon McMillian, an expert animal trainer and the host of Emmy winning, “Lucky Dog”. This training program is simple and highly effective. There are no complicated methods to follow, and your dog will begin to respond rapidly to the training.
From basic commands to how to address bad behaviors, this course gives you all the puppy basics for a solid foundation of training . If your dog has difficult behaviors, this course is the right one for you.
Brandon offers a kind-hearted approach to dog training, and it shows that he clearly does love animals. You will find his approach to be highly effective, allowing you to discover your dog’s strengths and use them in training.
Some of the topics of training include addressing bad behaviors like digging and chewing. This course helps you gain trust with your dog so he is more likely to respond to your commands and behave appropriately.
Best Free Training: Zak George’s Dog Training Revolution
- This training course offers guided videos that help you train your dog effectively within 30 days.
- You will receive daily tips.
- You will receive access to a comprehensive eBook that guides you through all the steps of training your dog.
- Best of all, the training materials are entirely free, and you are given full access.
- This training may not be as comprehensive as some pups need.
We were as surprised as you to learn this 30-day dog training program is free. This training course was developed by Zak George, who has been featured on Animal Planet, Fox & Friends, and The Tonight Show With Jimmy Fallon. Zak is not only an online dog trainer but also a best-selling author on Amazon. His work is one of the best dog training books today.
This free class is packed with training information that will teach your dog how to leave it, look at me, potty train, crate train, and much more. With this free program, you will have access to in-depth videos and an eBook.
The Pupford App makes this training program easy to use. There is a private forum for you to interact with other dog owners. The materials are completely free for life and Zak George offers unlimited access. All you have to do is sign up for the free class.
You also have the option of signing up for the mailing list which offers new training tips and product deals you may find beneficial for training your dog. This is free along with the entire training program.
Best Speed: Perfect Pooch
- This dog training course was developed by a certified dog trainer.
- If you want one-on-one direct training, you can sign up for VIP access.
- This program uses positive reinforcement instead of aggression.
- Perfect Pooch offers a full 60-day money-back guarantee if you are not satisfied.
- The video content is not downloadable, so you must have an Internet connection to view the training.
If you are looking for a dog training course that promises fast results, this is the program for you. Developed by Dana Gallagher, a CPDT, this training course promises to instantly cure your dog’s top 19 bad behaviors in only six days.
Like all the best dog training courses, this training is based on positive reinforcement and no punishment. Some of the lessons included in this training program are:
- How to Stop Biting
- How to Stop Unwanted Barking
- How to Stop Eliminating at the Wrong Place
- How to House Break Your Puppy
The Perfect Pooch Train-At-Home system gives you all the materials you need for training your dog and undoing bad behaviors. The basic online course is $27. The VIP access is $37.
Best Private Consultation: All Day Dog Adventures
- You will receive private and personalized attention from this dog training course.
- You can work on correcting specific behaviors customized for your dog’s needs.
- You have the ability to set your own training schedule according to your lifestyle needs.
- You do not have to be committed to stringent training.
- This is not a long-term training option, and it is expensive.
All Day Dog Adventures is a different approach to dog training because there are no pre-recorded videos. You are booking private one-on-one customized training sessions.
To get started on the training, you will fill out a questionnaire, training disclaimer, and client form. All Day Dog Adventures will then contact you to schedule an appointment that will work with your personal schedule.
Some of the types of training they offer include food guarding, separation anxiety, and counter surfing, among others. You will likely be asked to submit a video of your dog’s behavior before starting the class.
You will be booking a two-hour one-on-one training session. The trainers will provide tips to help you improve your dog’s behavior. The training takes place on Zoom or FaceTime, and then you will receive a written training plan to allow you to continue training based on the information you received in the one-on-one session. The cost for this training is $240 for each two-hour session.
Best Dog Training School: Instinct Dog Training
- The training materials are all free.
- Board-certified behaviorists developed each of the dog training courses.
- For an additional fee, you can work one-on-one with the trainers via phone.
- This training material offers help for just about every owner and dog.
- This dog training course does not offer any type of forum for extra assistance.
Instinct Dog Behavior & Training is an online dog school that was developed in 2009 by two dog owners who are also certified, dog instructors. They are based in the New York area but have since begun offering online instruction courses for dog training.
The library of training materials is free. You simply have to pick a class and view the material at your leisure. There are also eBooks, quizzes, and other materials for training.
At the time of this writing, the online library is somewhat limited, but they promise to begin adding more training material regularly. They also offer the Instinct Pup Line which allows you to call and speak with a certified trainer for free. The hours of operation for this line are daily from 10 am to 4 pm EST.
Best Variety: Udemy
- This website offers a wide array of training videos created by various trainers on many subjects.
- You have the option of searching for classes based on the trainer, class length, topic, and language.
- You have the option of training on the go with the Udemy app.
- Udemy offers a 30-day money-back guarantee for your satisfaction.
- The trainers are not vetted or guaranteed to be certified.
Most people have at least heard of Udemy and all the classes it offers on just about any subject. Dog training is no exception. At the time of this writing, there are hundreds of dog training videos available, and the list is growing larger.
Some of the training options include aggression, training a puppy, common dog behavior issues, and even how to become a dog trainer.
Before you sign up for one of the dog training classes, you can view the course description and information on the instructor. You can read student feedback and reviews. You will also be given information on the cost of the course, which varies because the instructor sets the price.
Best Puppy Training: Sirius Dog Training
- This is one of the few dog training courses that offer live instruction.
- Classes are kept small so they remain more personal and offer a better level of individualized attention.
- The courses are based on your dog’s age and level of training.
- This training offers an effective means of ensuring your dog responds to training.
- There is no money-back guarantee.
Sirius is a highly popular puppy training school that was developed over thirty years ago in San Francisco. Developed by Dr. Ian Dunbar, the school has since developed a strong online training course with pre-requisites.
With these classes, you and your pooch will progress through each level, building your training skills as you go. Before you can advance, you must complete the pre-requisite training.
We found this training to be very similar to Petco’s online training options. You can get personal instruction via Zoom, and the classes are kept small so you receive the personalized attention you and your dog need. It is important to note that these training classes book quickly, so make sure you plan well in advance.
The cost for puppy kindergarten is $160 and includes four weekly 50-minute training sessions. Puppy training is $200 for five weekly 50-minute sessions. The Basic Manners Foundation is $200 for five weekly 50-minute sessions.
Best Dog Handler Training: Fenzi Dog Sports Academy
- This training academy offers world-class instructors.
- There are webinars, workshops, and classes to meet a wide array of dog training needs.
- There is also a large library of on-demand training topics.
- Fenzi offers over 30 training classes per term.
- This dog training is primarily for dog sports, though it does offer helpful information for dogs who do not participate in sports.
Fenzi Dog Sports Academy is dedicated to providing the highest quality dog training in the industry. Fenzi offers a range of training materials available through online classes, workshops, and webinars.
The goal of this training is to help dog owners form a trusting and close bond with their dogs. They provide clear and concrete training methods and work to educate dog handlers by offering reasonably priced training materials.
The cost for this training varies according to the type. Webinars are $19.95. Workshops are $29.95, and classes range from $65 to $260. Fenzi has also developed a large online community that brings like-minded dog handlers together to discuss their dogs and training initiatives.
Best Support: Peach on a Leash
- Peach on a Leash offers training classes on a wide array of dog training topics.
- They also offer free fifteen-minute phone calls so dog owners can ask questions about training.
- Peach on a Leash offers both online and in-person dog training.
- Live coaching via Zoom offers a customized approach to dog training.
- This training is more expensive than many of the other dog training options we have listed.
Peach on a Leash wants you to know you do not need a personal dog trainer in your living room to get results with your dog. They are poised to help you with all types of training issues, including aggression, new pup training, resource guarding, and much more.
Their virtual training works through platforms like Zoom, FaceTime, or Skype. Because they can see you and your dog, they offer an innovative and personalized approach to dog training.
Peach on a Leash’s training packages starts at $329. Their trainers are certified, and they offer a wide array of training materials and classes you can enroll in to start the process.
How Do I Choose the Best Online Dog Training Courses?
When searching for an online dog training course, you undoubtedly have a lot of options, such as those we have outlined above. It can sometimes feel overwhelming attempting to find the right course to meet your dog’s training needs.
We recommend the following tips to help ensure you choose the right training course.
- Look for training courses that are taught by certified instructors or those recommended by the Humane Society.
- Ask your vet for advice on choosing an online dog training course.
- You should also consider talking with other dog owners you know. They may have the advice to offer on training options.
- Determine the training skills you would like to cover to ensure you choose a course that offers this training.
- Make sure you read reviews before choosing any training course.
- Ideally, you should choose a course that teaches positive reinforcement instead of negative reinforcement dog training.
- Make sure the material is easy to understand and the trainer is personable and friendly.
- The course should offer plenty of training options to meet all types of needs.
What Are the Benefits of Online Dog Training?
There are a wide array of benefits to online dog training. Being aware of these benefits will help you decide if this training option is right for you and your dog.
- Online training is typically more affordable than in-person dog training. Some courses are even free.
- There is more flexibility in scheduling training with online options.
- You can train just about anywhere.
- You can learn in a natural environment, making dog training more effective.
- Online dog training helps you build a better trust level and a more effective relationship with your dog.
- Online dog training grows with your dog.
Why Free Online Dog Training Courses Just Won’t Cut It
You have likely heard the old adage, “You get what you pay for”, and we have found this to be mostly true in life. Free options are often very limited in what they offer, though they can give you an idea of what to expect from training.
If you want the most effective dog training options, you are likely going to have to pay a fee of some kind. This does not mean you have to pay for an arm and a leg to get the best training. We have listed many affordable options above to help you choose one that fits within your budget.
We highly recommend you click through each of the dog training options listed above and learn about what they offer and the pricing schedule. Our best pick is Petco because this is a company we have personally had experience with and trust highly.
FAQ About the Best Online Dog Training Courses in 2022
If you’ve never attended any online dog training courses, we realize you likely have a lot of questions. The following are some of the most frequently asked questions. Read our answers to better understand online dog training.
1. What is the best online dog training school?
This is a question many people ask, and we believe we have the right answer. In our experience, Petco has been the best online training option. These classes are taught by professionals and offer a high level of private classes available through Zoom. You can choose different packages based on your dog’s training needs.
2. Is Online dog training effective?
With the pandemic, many dog owners have been looking for online options to help them with training. What we have found, along with so many others, is that online dog training is actually effective. Just like with in-person training, you are going to have to be dedicated, but online options do work for most dogs.
3. What is the best dog training course?
Petco and Doggy Dan’s are both of our favorites for online dog training courses. You will learn so much from both of these options. Doggy Dan’s has a wide array of online training options that will keep you learning new and innovative ways to train your furry friend.
4. Is Brandon McMillan MasterClass worth it?
The answer to this question is that it depends on who you talk to. While the price is hefty, you will learn a wealth of information that can help you train your dog in a variety of ways. The supporting workbook will help guide you through training.
Find the Best Online Dog Training Courses for 2022
This information should help you get started on finding the right online dog training course for your dog’s needs. Whether he needs full training or needs to brush up on his skills, there are options available for just about any training need and budget.